21.3.08

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes



Is it weird that several of my "heroes" are characters from children's books? When I'm fifty, I want to be Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter...when I'm 80, the skin horse from the Velveteen Rabbit. And right now I would have to say I aspire to be the Cottontail rabbit from the Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes. The book was written in 1939 by Du Bose Heyward, who wrote, among other things, the book that became the musical Porgy and Bess. It's the story of a little brown country bunny who dreams of one day becoming one of the five Easter bunnies who carry the eggs to children all over the world on Easter morning. Here's a quote:

The little girl Cottontail grew up to be a young lady Cottontail. And by and by she had a husband and then one day, much to her surprise there were twenty-one Cottontail babies to take care of.

The the big white rabbits and the Jacks with long legs laughed and laughed, and they said, "What did we tell you! Only a country rabbit would go and have all those babies. Now take care of them and leave Easter eggs to great big men bunnies like us." And they went away liking themselves very much.


In the end, Cottontail gets her chance to prove herself, and, surprise, surprise- raising twenty-one children has taught her a thing or two. This book is basically what it means to me to be a feminist. It's a tribute to motherhood as the experience of a lifetime and an incredible opportunity for growth that cannot be matched by all the degrees and work experience in the world. I may be "just a stay-at-home mom", but one day I'll be able to take all the incredible lessons I've learned and will learn from being a wife and mother and I'll show those Jack rabbits!

Another thing I love about the story is its embodiment of the truth that sometimes we give everything we have and it's just not enough. And that's when a loving Heavenly Father steps in and gives us our little gold shoes.

Happy Easter!

11 comments:

team howey said...

So...does that mean you and Eric mate like bunnies...21 huh? :) Just teasing. There is no doubt that you are creating amazing boys, and some day you'll take these lessons and see the world change, via yourself or thru the talents of your children.

Glad your back. Call me.

cherlyn and family said...

Great story and Happy Easter to you.

Lindsay said...

Why does it not surprise me that you have some children's fictional character in mind for every stage of your life?

My mom is like Mrs. Weasley - funny.

Cailean said...

That doesn't surprise me at all and I think that's such a unique way to look at life! You've made me want to find our copy of that book in our basement "library" (i.e. boxes) and reread it! We can learn so much from children's books!

s g said...

AMEN..Katie...my friend gave this book to us a few weeks ago and we have been reading it every night before bed...Greg was shocked at some of things it said, especially when I told him when it was written..I completely agree with everything you said in this post and I LOVE this book, I do remember it from my childhood as well...ditto to the H. Father and the gold shoes analogy..we can't do it alone!!
Sara

Andrea said...

Katie:

I need to go check it out. Today I was at an appointment and the person asked, "who is your employer." It was the first time that I wanted to just FREAK OUT and say, "you know, even though there is not a paycheck or even an employer to list--I have a job and it is so important . . . "

I don't think that was the answer she was looking for. I also think she left the slot blank (frown).

I needed your post today.

Thanks!

A

Katie said...

Andrea- I so feel your pain. One time I was at the ER for something, and Eric was helping the nurse fill out a form because I didn't have my insurance card. She went to check the box unemployed, and he fought with her for ten minutes about how I'm "not employed", not "unemployed". Maybe it was just the economist in him, but I loved him for that...I hate those forms! Almost as much as I hate him being referred to as my "partner" and not my husband. We walk on eggshells for those who aren't married- why not for those who stay home with children?

Audrey said...

I am going to have to get this book. Is it bad that I've never read it. I can sooo relate with all the comments. I hate it when people say...oh your just a mom...huge pet peeve of mine. Your blog is hilarious. The picture of Briggie had me laughing for a good 15 minutes.

Audrey

cat said...

LOVE this post. you said it so well. i too love this book.
have you seen "secret life of a soccer mom"? i don't think that anything makes me more angry!

Kathleen said...

I love what you wrote, and I think I need to read that book :) By the way, great job on the Flute! Very talented family you have ;)
Kathleen

Elise said...

Katie - this is one of my all-time favorites! Thanks for sharing.

Elise